• Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • Get new posts sent to your inbox!
      Enter your email address below:

  • Thursday, December 18, 2014

    My Plan For Spain

    When I flew to Barcelona, my intentions were to leave my bike with Hilda and walk the Camino de Santiago in Northern Spain, the most popular long distance walk in the world. Although December weather is considerably better here than in England, the north can still rain three or four days per week and temperatures can drop below freezing at high altitude, where I may also find myself occasionally walking on snow.

    I've hiked in much worse conditions, but an insightful friend of mine said, "Aren't you super sick of the rain though? I mean that's one of the main reasons you flew to Spain. It'd be like breaking up with someone just to start dating someone exactly like them."
    I couldn't argue with that. I'm ready for warmth and sunshine. Not only for comfort, but with this lifestyle, it also means a lot more freedom.

    I left Barcelona without a plan, so my first night I ended up sleeping on a beach under the stars. With no one else in sight, I walked up and down the beach as the waves swelled and crash. In one direction, the masts from dozens of boats were dimly lit in the security light of a nearby harbor.

    In the other direction, a train occasionally passed behind the pillars from a tunnel cut into the cliff side. I stayed up long enough to watch the constellation Orion slowly drift from the eastern sky all the way to the west.

    That's what I want for my trip in Spain. I don't want big goals or elaborate plans. An elaborate plan might be in order if your adventure is to ski to the North Pole or fly around the planet in a hot air balloon, but when you just want to roam and explore, goals and plans can be stifling.   

    Although I'm on a bike, I'm not rushing. I want to take the time to ride leisurely around cities...

    ...or walk beside the bike down narrow village streets (such as in the town of Sitges, pictured)

    I want the benefits that come with the slowness of walking, but move quickly when I want.

    I'll be without a schedule or a feeling that I must rush to any particular destination. I don't even really want a destination. 

    So every day when I wake up in some random unpredictable place in Spain, I'll keep my plan very simple: get on my bike and keep the sea to my left.